Prof. Dr. Stephan W. Koch
Department of Physics
University of Marburg
May 23, 1953, born in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
1983 J.W. Goethe-University Frankfurt/Germany, Habilitation Theoretical Physics
1979 J.W. Goethe-University Frankfurt/Germany, PhD (Dr. phil. nat.) Physics
1977 J.W. Goethe-University Frankfurt/Germany, MS (diploma), Physics
1993-date Professor at the Philipps-University, Marburg/Germany
1994-date Adjunct Professor at the University of Arizona, Tucson/AZ, College of Optical Sciences
1989-1993 Professor at the University of Arizona, Tucson/AZ, Department of Physics and Optical Sciences Center
1986-1989 Associate Professor at the University of Arizona, Tucson/AZ, Department of Physics and Optical Sciences Center
1985-1986 Heisenberg Fellow, J.W. Goethe-University, Frankfurt/Germany
1983 Visiting Scientist, IBM Research, San Jose/CA
1982-1984 Postdoctoral Fellow, Sonderforschungsbereich 65, J.W. Goethe-University, Frankfurt/Germany
1981-1982 Postdoctoral Fellow at IBM Research, San Jose/CA
1977-1981 Research Assistant, J.W. Goethe-University, Frankfurt/Germany
Awards and Honors
* 2008 "Outstanding Referee" lifetime award of the American Physical Society
* 2006 Prize for the Advancement of Women in Science (Frauenfoerderpreis) Philipps-University Marburg
* 1999 Max-Planck Research Prize of the A. v. Humboldt Foundation and the Max-Planck Society
* 1997 Leibniz Prize of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
* 1995 ''The J.J. Thompson Premium'' of The Institute of Engineering and Technology, GB
* 1993 Fellow of the Optical Society of America
* 1985 Heisenberg Fellow of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
* 1984 Fritz Thyssen Fellowship for highly gifted young scientists
* 1981 Postdoctoral Fellowship, IBM Research Lab., San Jose, CA
* 1976 Student fellowship, Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes
* since 2007 Member Editorial Board "Laser & Photonics Reviews"
* 2001-2006 Member of the Kuratorium "Physik Journal"
* 1998-2005 Topical Editor "European Physics Journal"
* 1997-2000 Divisional Associate Editor "Physical Review Letters"
* 1997 Topical Editor "Zeitschrift für Physik"
Research interests and publications
Condensed matter theory, optical and electronic properties of semiconductors, many-body interactions, semiconductor quantum optics, quantum confinement in solids, coherent and ultrafast phenomena, semiconductor laser theory, microcavity and photonic crystal effects.
More than 600 publications in refereed scientific journals and books. Author or co-author of 7 text and research books, editor of 3 books. More than 13.000 citations, H-index 63.